Friday, July 29, 2011

Norway's Example

Like everyone, I was stricken by the recent events in Norway.  The searing shock and pain, feelings of loss and horror, are almost unimaginable.  


But it is their response to this event that is the subject of this post:  the utter grace and love that have flowed forth, rather than the instant retaliative responses we so often come to expect. 


As Stacey Robyn and her Go Gratitude group say:


Rather than resort to retaliation and fear-mongering, the people
of Norway have chosen a peaceful response.  Our Norwegian
brothers and sisters are choosing LOVE, Peace, Openness and
Freedom in the face of manufactured fear, terror and illusion.

A new pathway . . .  is being embodied,
and is an example worthy of emulation for every nation on
the planet.  Blessed BE!



I'm also reminded of the horrible attack on an Amish school a few years back.  Once again, that community chose to respond with love and forgivenness, and healing became possible as a result.


Now of course I would rather be a part of a nation that responds with calmness, love and peace when acts of aggression are experienced.  Of course I believe that is the way for life to improve, rather than just get into a nasty cycle of getting back at someone who's wronged us.  Of course it makes sense to me that retaliation simply makes for an increase in violence and pain and loss. And I'd love to be part of a nation that feels strong and confident enough to react with love.


So how can I help my community, my state, my nation emulate these principles?
By asking myself the question:  do I live that in my daily life?


There are so many times in my day - to - day existence in which I get an opportunity to practice this idea;  how do I do?


Too often, when someone cuts me off in traffic, I send ticked-off energy back at them.  Yet when I have the presence of mind of take a deep breath and wish them well, I feel so much better.  When I encounter a rude clerk, or a client who wants to "yes-but" everything I say, or a contractor who doesn't show up when promised, how often do I take it personally and send back feelings of annoyance or even (a personal favorite) self-righteousness? How can I help myself remember to send back love and acceptance?
  
Gandhi knew a thing or two about these matters:  he knew that if you want to have the wherewithal to withstand the big stuff, you have to practice it in little ways, on a daily basis. When he was a young angry attorney, outraged by British policy toward his people, he didn't accomplish much and only found himself more and more frustrated.  It was when he discovered the magic that comes in finding peace inside onself , letting go of anger and spending time forgiving, that everything started to change.  His famous quote:


You must be the change you wish to see in the world,


has never been more true.  If the Norwegians are able to respond to this event with such forgivenness, love and grace, it's because as a culture they live that. 


Have you ever been really, really angry with someone, and expected a really really angry response, only to have them look you in the eye and say "I am so sorry"?  Didn't you melt?  Or at least take a step back and have to reconsider the whole situation?


Too often I catch myself being irritated with such minute nothings!  As I look at it, it seems like such a waste of good feeling, of beauty, of opportunity for delight. 


There is a little miracle of a book called  The Gentle Art of Blessing by Pierre Pradervand.  It is full of stories of people who have found their lives changing in amazing ways when they taught themselves to respond to all sorts of situations with blessings.  (To get a beautiful taste of his philosophy, check out: 


www.youtube.com/watch?v=WegAgepCYfo


So I find myself thinking that the best way I can honor those lost in Norway, or indeed in any violent situation around the world, is to practice peace in my daily life, to foster a wave of blessing and forgivenness, for we know that energy builds and like attracts like. 


What are your thoughts?








2 comments:

  1. Norway's wise and compassionate response to the tragedy is a blessing in a world where too much attention is paid to vengeance. Thank you for this reminder to be that example, and to spread the blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent editorial by the Miami Herald's Leonard Pitts on this same theme:

    http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/26/2332262/terror-in-norway-sadly-predictable.html

    ReplyDelete