Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Not There Yet

Sorry, dear readers, but please keep in mind that I am a mind from the 16th century. . .I have been diligently working on two posts, which I shall share with you eventually, but I am stumped by my inability to figure out how to add pictures and believe me, these posts need them. I've spent the day often feeling stupid and annoyed with myself and annoyed with my computer and annoyed with anyone who got in the way at the wrong moment. . .yuck.  Not what I was hoping to share. Here at the close of the day, I am spending some time remembering that it's okay to be on the front end of a given learning curve, even if it is one that any average 10 year old has already mastered. . .I'm just sure this process is good for my ego.


To relax and calm myself, I am listening to Eric Whitacre (click to see his amazing TED talk and get a taste of the music I'm listening to) and drifting happily on the soaring voices joined in performing his remarkable works.  And I am writing to you, partly to apologize to myself and the world for getting my energetic knickers in a twist, and partly to close out the day on a more uplifting note for myself.  It occurred to me to revel in post 16th C. inventions for which I feel a deep and abiding delight and/or gratitude.  And then to open it up to you to mention a few of your favorites. . .


I truly am grateful for the Internet and all it makes available to us, literally at the push of a button (or for you more up-to-date, the touch of a screen).  I love that it is getting more and more obvious just how tiny and precious is this amazing Blue Ball on which we dance, thanks to the connectivity of the Internet.  Wow.


Those who know me know that everyday I thank the Divine, and Thomas Crapper, for flush toilets. (Yes, I know T. Crapper didn't invent the toilet, but he modernized it into what we know today).  I can squat in the woods with the best bear, but I am soooo grateful I don't have to!  The cleverness of the design, the simplicity, and the fact that those of us in this part of the world can and usually do take flush toilets so completely for granted. . .well, let's remember that's not true yet in many parts of the world, and that right here it only goes back a very few generations.


Recorded music.  My oh my.  Think about one or two or three of your favorite, and imagine hearing it for the first time and knowing that if you EVER wanted to hear it again, you had to play it yourself or get someone near and dear to you to do so.  The exception was of course some standardized church music, some of which is gorgeous, and lots of which is, in my opinion, blech. We take for granted that we can hear a piece, want to hear it again, and purchase a CD or download it or whatever, and play it on an almost crazy number of devices. Fantastic.  


Digital cameras.  I am no photographer.  And I'm parsimonious. I used to be awfully hesitant to take pictures, because of wasting all that money and other resources on film and developing.  Now I joyously click away, knowing I can delete to my heart's content.  And getting to see at least a little version of the picture I just took!  Clearly magic. Now I just need to learn more about uploading, photoshopping, etc. . .


Central heating.  The idea that in the midst of winter, one can have an entirely warm body, not just the side facing the heat source, is still a very new idea on this planet. I remember clearly at my maternal grandparents, turning slowly like a bird on a spit, so that one side didn't get overheated and the other frozen. I also remember no heat upstairs, and the drinking water next to the bed frozen in the morning.   It's easy to forget that much of the world still doesn't take central heat for granted, and that, once again, even in this affluent country, you don't have to go very far back to find out just what a luxury it is.  I still don't have central air, but I suspect it won't be long.  Fabulous.


Lending libraries and their amazing librarians.  Hey, that's a whole blog post in and of itself.  But as I close for now, I'll go pick out a book to read for a few minutes before drifting off into the arms of Morpheus. . .and feel intense tho' drowsy gratitude for those amazing institutions and their guardians.  


Your turn.     

2 comments:

  1. I have a few that I would like to add...

    Cell Phones: Being able to call nearly anyone from nearly anywhere. Now, I know as well as the next person that many cell phones are used frivolously or inappropriately, but I can't imagine the days when you had to wait *weeks* to know if a loved one made it home safely, or why your beloved was over three hours late coming home to you. Now, we make a 30 second call, and it's done.

    Chocolate: Even 100 years ago it was extremely costly and extremely difficult for the average person to buy chocolate. Now anyone in a first world country can buy it, usually anytime of the day or night, for very little cost.

    Hot running water: Having recently spent some time camping for several days in a row without this, or any running water, I have a much deeper appreciation for how much more human I feel after my daily shower, and am so grateful for the ability to clean - truly clean - my hands whenever I wish.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoiding the urge to 2nd several of yours, I'll share my own!

    Nurseries! I love being able to drive about 5 miles in any direction to find a rather large nursery with SO many varieties of beautiful plants that I can take home, and with minimal effort, create my own sanctuary. This was not a luxury I had in CO due to the cost of keeping such variety, so I LOVE it so much after moving back to lush O H I O!

    The fine offering of automobiles. Yes, the auto was a great invention but have a look at your car now compared to even your earliest model. I get into my private ship after work, shut the doors, adjust the lumbar support -sometimes with heat!, select a climate and wander through radio stations or songs from my own devise... amazing! It’s smooth, efficient and even cozy! Especially when the weather is less than ideal, this is a marvelous escape!

    Stopping there because I've gone long enough! And, I second the chocolate! Had to do it. :)

    Thanks, Mmms for posting what we needed, yet again.

    ReplyDelete